University of Sunderland School of Medicine
Sunderland is one of only five new medical schools, established to address the regional imbalance of medical education places across England and to widen access to ensure the profession reflects the communities it serves.
We are working in partnership with Keele University School of Medicine to implement our new medical curriculum.
- Generous scholarships including free University-managed accommodation in Year 1 and a cash scholarship
- We are partnered with 3 hospital trusts, 2 mental health trusts, community services and 63 GP practices and have five dedicated Directors of Undergraduate Study
- A smaller student intake and a friendly community of staff and students
Key features of our curriculum
- A spiral curriculum, with vertical, integrated themes running through the five years.
- Problem-based learning (PBL)/case-based learning.
- Extensive and early clinical placements in general practice, hospital and community settings.
- Protect and promote the health of patients and the public.
- Comprehensive virtual learning environment to support independent study.
- Extensive tutor support.
- Years 1 and 2 are predominantly taught in and around the clinical training facilities at City Campus.
- Clinical placements in Years 3 – 5 are based in well-established local teaching hospitals and GP practices.
To find out more about our course, please see our website.
A Levels in three subjects at grades AAA are required, including Biology or Chemistry plus another designated science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Further Maths/Statistics) and a third academic subject. Any science A Level (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) completed in England from 2017 must include a pass in the practical endorsement; without this the qualification will be judged to have been failed, regardless of the headline grade. Please note, some subjects are not accepted. Only one subject from a combination of Maths or Further Maths or Statistics will be considered within the three A Levels.
The primary admissions criteria which is being considered (eg A Levels) must have been completed within the past five years.
We also require five passes at GCSE grade A (numerical grade 7) with a minimum of grade B (numerical grade 6) in Maths, English Language, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
For a full list of the subjects we accept, please see our entry requirements.
All applicants must take the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) during the year in which they apply.
Roles and Responsibilities form
All applicants who meet the minimum academic requirements will be issued with a roles and responsibilities form which must be completed and returned by the deadline stated in the accompanying email. For further information, please see our website.
Shortlisting for interview is based on academic requirements, the Roles and Responsibilities form and UCAT score. Our interviews take the form of multiple mini-interviews (MMIs) and a mathematics test.
Medicine Summer School
The University of Sunderland runs a two-day Medicine Summer School for Year 12 students, offering you the opportunity to experience university life as a medical student. Over the two days, you’ll gain the skills and confidence you need to apply for our Medicine MBChB (Hons) course. Learn more about the Medicine Summer School.
Applying for Medicine at Sunderland during the time of Covid-19
Applying to do Medicine is tough at the best of times but during this period of uncertainty and limited opportunity it is even more difficult. What can you do to prepare for your application at this time? Tim Paget, Academic Lead for Admissions for Sunderland School of Medicine, explains here.
Want to know more about student life here at the University of Sunderland?
Then why not chat to current Medicine student Francesca about her studies and university experience. Take a virtual tour of campus.
Our Online Open Days are your chance to find out more about studying Medicine at Sunderland. You can also explore our fantastic campus, hear from students and staff and live chat with us, all from the comfort of your own home.